Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cancellation Fee of $35 Illegal?

I received email notification on Feb 15th that my site had been migrated. At the bottom of the email there was the following statement:
"Be sure to take a moment to review WebHost4Life's Terms of Service.
By maintaining your account, you are agreeing to comply with
and abide by these Terms:
http://www.webhost4life.com/legal/index.bml "
I looked at the "Terms" today and saw they added a $35 cancellation fee. This was not originally in the Terms Of Agreement when I renewed my contract with them back in December. I'm almost sure they cannot assume agreement after the fact of migration unless there was explicit agreement by me.

A previous customer who wanted to cancel, recently posted their commentary with WH4L, in which WH4L agreed NOT to charge the cancellation fee. He cited the above.
See :http://www.web-hosting-top.com/web-hosting/web-hosting-top.webhost4life.com-reviews?

(February 26th comment by Xxbbcc)

4 comments:

  1. I went thru the same issues with them and cancelled last night. They did charge me $35.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a website that they migrated to another platform and that rendered my online store unusable for weeks now. The checkout process is not working, the Forum is down and to top it all they have restored an old version of the database overwriting all our recent updates to the database! Tech support is giving me the run-around, they are liars and they appear to be inexperienced. Canceling my account would not be an easy way out either. They are charging me $35 bucks for the cancellation fee. Why would you penalize your customers when their website is not working and just want out??
    Until they give me full refund, I will make it my lifes mission to to let other people know what kind of company they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know if cancelation fee also applies to accounts that you don´t want to renew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And how about accounts that had reviewed 2 years ago, and still have three to go on their contract.

    I know this is the third post I've made, but they even tried to tell me I have no "re-seller" fee's coming, so I took a screen shot where it showed 171.00 in fees BEFORE they took down my re-seller site. See, I was in a bad car accident, and couldn't type or write , well anyway, just had to learn all over again. Then, EVEN though my Account was Paid for, Even though I'd been with webhot4life for all those years, for them to take down my sites without permission? without a phone call?? without notification??

    Not like I was spinnin spam while in the hosptial. I'd like to get these guys too.

    Erwin and his group were so very good.
    I honestly hate to see the reputation these people have given it.

    ReplyDelete